Ranchers have to be eternal optimists when it comes to the weather but the Northern Great Plains exist as grasslands because of the lower rainfall amounts. Sometimes we have drought and sometimes we have more rain but still grasses are the dominant vegetation. Drought is inevitable so we have to plan for it and expect it. The following links provide some useful and valuable information for managing drought.
- Drought Management Calculator
- Coping With Drought - NDSU
- Can Abundant Summer Precipitation Counter Losses in Herbage Production Caused by Spring Drought?
- National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center
- Top 10 Drought Management Tips for Ranchers
- Drought and Stocking Rate Effects on Forage and Yields from Western SD Rangelands
- The Journey to Recovery of the Range
- Drought Lingers in Plains